12.17.2007

back in the Spirit

"Christmas time is here, we'll be drawing near.
oh, that we could always see such spirit through the year..."

I think Charlie Brown meant it in a bit of a different context that I'm taking it: snow, carols, family, friends. all very important to Christmas time.
but not necessarily essential.

oh, that I could feel Your presence throughout the year as I have felt it the last few days.
sometimes, all it takes is drawing near. asking You. sitting quiet for more than five minutes at a time. not being afraid of what I'll find in that place.
I'm afraid sometimes, when things start falling apart. when nothing seems quite right, when the "untouchable" things get shaken from beneath me.
but You are never shaken.

the great thing about putting my hope and trust in you?
putting my hope and trust in anything or anyone else, I will always be disappointed. I will always be let down. my heart will always be wounded.
but with You, letdown is not possible, unless my expectations are wrong. unless my heart is not in line with Yours.

my hope and trust is well-placed in You. things may seem to crumble. things may seem completely unjust and unfair. yet You remain in control.
when everything begins to crumble beneath me, and I think I'm never going to stop falling, I feel my feet on firm ground. Your hand is there, beneath all that is crumbling. my feet have found a firm place, a place that cannot crumble.

in this, I find comfort.
in this, I find hope.
in this, I place my trust.

turn your eyes upon Jesus
look full in His wonderful face
and the things of earth will grow strangely dim
in the light of His glory and grace

No comments: